December 14, 2012

current: the power of introverts


I was on TED the other day and found a talk that really hit home for me. I am an introvert. I was the kid in class that kept her head down and did her work. I relished doing puzzles and drawing in my room (away from my brothers). Even now, I look forward to quiet nights at home with tea and a magazine. I was relieved to find Susan Cain's talk called, "The Power of Introverts." Finally, I feel like someone actually gets me and that all that time I wasn't weird or awkward. Now, I realize that it's a strength, not a weakness granted by society. Don't get me wrong, I am confident, strong-willed, stubborn, opinionated, and outspoken. I guess I like to set back and observe rather than being outwardly expressive. Here are Cain's awesome final words, "But introverts, you being you, you probably have the impulse to guard very carefully what's inside your own suitcase. And that's okay. But occasionally, just occasionally I hope you will open up your suitcases for other people to see because the world needs you and it needs the things you carry. So I wish you the best of all possible journeys and the courage to speak softly."

No comments:

Post a Comment