November 13, 2012

heart: halle berry

I was sitting with my boyfriend and he asked me how come I'm not stuck up. I thought that's a strange question. I asked, "What do you mean?" And he said, "Well, you're so beautiful, how come you're not stuck up?" First, I have an amazing boyfriend. And second, I do think that I'm pretty, but that's because I don't think that I'm ugly either. I think that I'm just okay. I think that no matter how beautiful you are, you don't feel beautiful unless you have a high self-esteem. I was reading an article in The New York Times magazine featuring Halle Berry and I was surprised that even she, one of the most beautiful women on the planet felt the same way as I do. The writer, Joyce Maynard, notes, "Berry's looks are no doubt a great gift. Even now, more than halfway through her 40s, she retains perfect skin, a long, elegant neck and a body that is both slim and womanly. But, she (Berry) says, 'just because they see my face doesn't mean they see me. A person's self-esteem has nothing to do with how she looks.'" Then Berry goes on to say, "If it's true that I'm beautiful. I'm proof of that. Self-esteem comes from who you have in your life. How you were raised. What you struggled with as a child." And there, that sums up the answer to my boyfriend's question. I've never thought of beauty and self-esteem in that way. Another way that I related to Berry is the way she carried herself to show that she was more than her skin color. In the interview, she says, "I always had to prove myself through my actions... Be class president. Be the editor of the newspaper. It gave me a way to show who I was without being angry or violent. By the time I left school, I had a lot of tenacity. I'd turned things around." I did the same! I wanted to be better than what anyone could think of me. After reading the article I related to Berry on a different level from dealing with criticism to being a woman of color. You can read the entire article here.
Photograph by Cedric Buchet via The New York Times Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment