November 6, 2012

adventures: hurricane sandy

I know I'm a little late writing this post. It's crazy how so much can happen in one week. I was in Atlanta for the Country Living Fair when I caught wind of Hurricane Sandy. Luckily, we were able to change our 6:30pm flight to a 2:30pm flight on that Sunday, the 28th. We made it to New York just in time. Worried that I would be stuck by myself in Harlem, I headed immediately to Brooklyn to see my boyfriend. And for the next four days I was stuck there. Well, stuck is the wrong word. In fact, we had a great time. I was a little worried that I'd feel claustrophobic and want some "space." But I didn't. I think we learned that we get a long really well. And I learned how blessed and lucky we are. The storm really didn't affect us at all. We had power and heat and food the entire time. I also learned that no matter what, I love New York, through the good and the bad. It was wonderful to see everyone so willing to help, whether it was providing a car ride into the city, offering a place to stay, or all the calls and messages showing support and concern. Thanks everyone.
Photo: An aerial view of the Sandy blackout by Iwan Baan (via New York magazine)

2 comments:

  1. Hey it's Michelle, Gaston, Andy & Max from the CL Fair. I am so happy to hear you all made it through and are doing ok! We were worried and didn't know how to reach you. I contacted Rachel through CL page on FB and she mentioned you all were ok. I love this post. What an great image. Take Care
    :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    Thanks so much for writing me. We had a great time at the Fair and really enjoyed meeting you and your wonderful family!!!!!
    Wish you all the best,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete