October 19, 2012

current: sisyphus

This is how I feel. I'm writing this post, it's 11p.m. on Wednesday night and I'm still at work and there is no end in sight. A couple of days ago, my coworker mentioned the story of Sisyphus, the king who is punished by having to roll a huge rock up a hill only to have it roll back down and this happens over and over. That's kind of what making a magazine feels like. For months you work on a issue, that's the pushing the rock up a hill part. Then the last stretch is the last week called the "close week" when we finalize all pages for shipping to the printer. These days are long and exhausting, to me that's the final part of the climb, the toughest last few miles to the top. And all of a sudden you're done and you realize that you have to start the entire process all over again. That's the rock rolling down the hill part. It's a sick and twisted cycle. But somehow you forget all the pain, you dust your shoulders off, and start back right were you left off, at the bottom. Why? Because I genuinely love working at a magazine. And it's the process that I enjoy most... working with editors on story ideas, helping produce photo shoots and designing layouts. That part makes it all worth it.
Image: Titian, Sisyphus, Prado Museum (via Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment