October 11, 2012

art: carrie mae weems




I just discovered, photographer and artist, Carrie Mae Weems while browsing through the MoMA online collection. I wonder why I've never heard of or seen her work before. Weems has had over 50 exhibitions across the globe and focuses primarily on issues that face African Americans relevant today, such as racism, gender relations, politics, and personal identity. She has said, "Let me say that my primary concern in art, as in politics, is with the status and place of Afro-Americans in our country." Immediately, after browsing her website, I was most engaged by "The Kitchen Table" series. Weems is currently having her first major retrospective in Nashville, at The First and the show will make it's way The Guggenheim in 2014. I hope to remember not to miss it.
All photographs by Carrie Mae Weems.

No comments:

Post a Comment