June 5, 2012

sugar cane and my grandpa

I'm always surprised when sugar cane is served as garnish with a drink in Manhattan. My grandfather grew sugar cane in his yard along with other crops. As kids we loved it. It was the best treat. I have great childhood memories of summers spent with my brothers and cousins at our grandparents' house. I never knew why my grandfather grew sugar cane. I had never really seen it anywhere else and I had never really thought about any of that until now. This has been on my mind for days. And this is what I've come up with. I know that my grandpa served in W.W.I. and was stationed in New Guinea. I went to wikipedia to do some research and found that sugar cane was cultivated for the first time in New Guinea around 6000 B.C. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think my grandfather saw this plant, tasted it, learned how to harvest it, and when he returned home, decided to grow it was well. There are so many things I wish I would've asked my grandfather. He was a private person and didn't share much about his past (which I also understand). I lost him during the summer of my freshman year of college. I am happy to have so many wonderful memories of him. Us kids will always tell great stories about him. Like how when I was a little girl (2-3 years old) I'd wander off and go looking for him at the church nearby. Or that time when we were walking down the dirt road to visit our grandmother's grave and a rattlesnake came from the bushes. My cousin ran to get grandpa and he comes stomping down the street with his boots and carrying a rifle. With one shot he killed the snake. That's how I remember my grandfather. To me he was superman. Top photo: A sugar plantation on the island of RĂ©union in the late 1800s from wikipedia. Bottom photo: Me and my grandpa. 

1 comment:

  1. you with grandpa was one of my favorites pictures.

    i think it was cicely who ran screaming down the street to get grandpa. i remember jeremy screaming too.

    i remember when michael and me always wanted to drive his tractor like mower to help mow the lawn.

    and the firepit to burn the trash

    and jock

    and those effing ant mounds everywhere and we had to watch our steps

    :-D

    ReplyDelete