May 14, 2011

the final oprah shows

I am a dedicated Oprah viewer. I record her show everyday. I am certainly going to miss her. There is no other show that is as inspirational, educational, and joyful. The Greatest Lessons episode was no different. One person who stood out to me was Toni Morrison. 
The question she asked of all parents: When your child walks in the room, does your face light up? "When my children used to walk in the room, when they were little, I looked at them to see if they had buckled their trousers or if their hair was combed or if their socks were up," she told Oprah in 2000. "You think your affection and your deep love is on display because you're caring for them. It's not. When they see you, they see the critical face. But if you let your face speak what's in your heart...because when they walked in the room, I was glad to see them. It's just as small as that, you see." 
I completely understand this. And I grew up seeing those critical faces. Now, I know to be different in my relationships. I think I've always known this, but Morrison was able to explain it in a way that I could understand. There one more lesson Toni offered: Everyone needs to have a place that is all theirs. "It's just a place where it's you," she says. "It can be creative, it can be a computer, it can be anything. It's your sacred place and you own it." 

No comments:

Post a Comment