October 5, 2010

zigzagging

I saw this article, "Keeping Mr. Emerson's House" in the New York Times awhile ago and I didn't think anything of it. The caretakers of the Ralph Waldo Emerson house are Andrea Lieberg and Taylor Bemis. I don't know them, but I do know Andrea's sister, Amy Lieberg, now Amy Leclerc. She gave me my very first magazine job! I was the advertising coordinator at Razor magazine. I left because I wanted to be a designer on the editorial side. Shortly after, the magazine folded. Now, Amy is a ballet/yoga/pilates instructor at barre3 based in Portland, OR. I'm writing this because I think both Amy and Andrea live authentic lives. Sometimes, I think I want a change. I'm just not sure what. Maybe a move to the west coast or somewhere close to the beach. For now, it can even be something as small as trying a new hobby, taking a class, or finally starting an exercise regimen. This is not as exciting as Andrea and Taylor who have a "free-spirited appetite for new ZIP codes and temporary living arrangements..." Andrea documents her experiences on becoming a farmer on her blog, afarmerinthedell.wordpress.com.

“The voyage of the best ship is a zigzag line of a hundred tacks.” –Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment