September 16, 2010

a blvd. called sunset

I just started a personal project that I am super excited about. I can't give too much detail here yet, but I'll keep you updated throughout the process. It's going to be a lot of work. I'm a little overwhelmed. For the project I have self guided assignments. One assignment was to list my top five works of art. Of the five, I chose A Blvd. Called Sunset by Ed Ruscha. He is a man of letters and phrases. And so am I. Hence, my obsession with quotes and letters. I don't really know why I like this piece of work. It’s so California Cool… I just love it! Ruscha's work (associated with the pop art movement) is a reaction to the abstract expressionist artists who came before him, like Jackson Pollack. Actually, I'd say this work is the exact opposite of a Pollack painting. It is expressionless, except for the words themselves, and even the words really don't mean anything. They just are. The only other note is that he smeared rose petals and spinach around the words, maybe to create a deeper message. I don't know. I did something similar when I did a study aboard program in Florence where I stained paper with wine. Wine was as plentiful as water. It simply added another layer. And maybe I'm just craving some sunny California weather today.

Update: I was going through my archive and realized I already wrote a similar post here. Opps.

No comments:

Post a Comment