June 2, 2010

balance is b.s.

photo from ginger-ella

"Life without balance can cost you your relationships. Life without balance can cost you your health. Life without balance can cost you your spirituality. Life without balance can cost you your wealth and your happiness. So find things to motivate you from all areas of life. Your success depends on it." While I agree with Jim Rohn's quote, balance for me is always a struggle. I think it has something to do with the artist in me. The part of me that likes to wait to the last minute. That likes the chaos and pressure. Otherwise, everything would always be boring. I guess I'm taking sides with personal trainer, Leanne Shear's sentiment:

In my view, life is naturally imbalanced, and in fact, I’ve now decided that achieving true balance is b.s., unless perhaps you’re a spiritual guru like the Dalai Lama.

I am completely imbalanced a lot of the time: I juggle a million projects and endeavors and usually feel like I’m on life’s proverbial roller coaster. I drink too much wine when I should be outside running. I run when I should be working, or procrastinate and do my nails when I should be submitting my thesis proposal, or writing a blog. I stay out too late or get up too early. There’s never a time when all my ducks are in a row, and in my view, that’s what makes life completely exhilarating. More importantly, in that hustle and energy is where all the opportunities lie. Plus, I firmly believe that even when a person achieves “balance” for a second, life immediately intervenes to shake things up, and throw us off course, because of course, that’s where we learn the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment