May 17, 2010

quote of the week: slow love

I just started reading Slow Love by Dominique Browning and I am completely engrossed. I particularly resonate with this passage from page five. "Slow living, I have come to understand, opens up the prospect of slow love, the most sustaining sort of love I have ever known—a love that comes of an unhurried and focused attention to the simplest things, available to all of us, at any time, should we choose to engage: family, friendship, food, music, art, books, our bodies, our minds, our souls, and the life that blooms and buzzes all around us. Perhaps even more importantly, slow love comes out of the quiet hours, out of learning from the silence that is always there when we want it. I still hardly know how to describe it, but somehow, during the long months after getting knocked off my career track, and at the same time having to face the end of an intense love affair, I connected with something under and beneath and over everything, and caught a glimmer of peace. I still have my moody seasons, the occasional blights, the drooping days, yet even then I feel as if I have grown a new taproot, one that reaches deeper into nourishing soil. I am more resilient. If I had to pin it down, I would say I finally fell open to the miracle of this world."

No comments:

Post a Comment