February 26, 2010

the cove

 
image from thecovemovie.com
 
I just watched The Cove, a brilliant and inspiring documentary on the capturing of dolphins for tourist and entertainment uses. The Cove exposes the slaughter of more than 20,000 dolphins and porpoises in Taiji, Japan every year, and how their meat, containing toxic levels of mercury, is being sold as food in Japan and other parts of Asia, often labeled as whale meat. The majority of the world is not aware this is happening as the Taiji cove is blocked off from the public. After watching the documentary I re-realized just how insignificant I am and that I want my existence to be valuable and relevant (in some way) to the greater good of humanity and all living on this earth. Thanks Jason for the recommendation.

1 comment:

  1. I heard about this documentary on NPR. I'm not sure I am brave enough to watch it. The interview alone made me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete